About the position
As the Director of Safety and Training, you will ensure safe & proper working conditions across all divisions at Michael Hatcher & Associates, Inc. You will create and implement workplace safety plans, safety audits, and procedures, while ensuring all safety policies are followed within federal, state, and local standards. You will work closely with Division Leadership to create solutions to decrease safety incidents and overall worker’s compensation and general liability expenses. This may include data collection and reporting on OSHA related statistics and other internal company initiatives.
This position will coordinate and support our focused training initiatives within each division of MH&A. This will be job specific training with people development at all levels of the company, in addition to safety training.
This is a fulltime position reporting to the Chief Operating Officer.
What you’ll be doing
- Oversee and ensure the safety of employees, subcontractors, and general public.
- Assist in development and coordination of project specific safety programs.
- Identify known/potential exposures and recommend corrective action.
- Report safety performance and future plans.
- Work closely with field supervision to plan more complex safety aspects
- Coordinate safety reviews and reports, including OSHA.
- Identify potential health hazards by examining the work environment, operations, and processes and obtaining full details of the nature of the work, materials, and equipment used
- Conduct audits, interpret results, present specific conclusions, and makes recommendations to immediately initiate corrective action when needed
- Create and revise new/existing safety programs while maintaining safety regulation compliance
- Conduct safety training for all employees
- Provide technical direction to both technical and non-technical personnel
- Assist in investigating accidents/ incidents to help identify their contributing factors and root causes, determine how they might be prevented in the future, and communicate those findings to impacted team members
What you need to join our team
- Undergraduate degree in safety and health or related discipline
- 5+ years relevant construction safety experience.
- OSHA 30-hour training
- Successful completion of a board safety certification such as Certified Safety professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM); or ability to obtain within 2 years.
- In depth experience in planning, scheduling, and resource management methods; ability to develop and use metrics to measure performance in these areas.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities in a deadline driven environment
- Demonstrate great communication skills and influence supervisors and peers
- Demonstrate flexibility on working together with a team within all departments
- Take ownership in what needs to get accomplished
- Solve problems proactively
Other Key Responsibilities
- Must pass E-verify and drug test
- Must have valid Driver’s License
- Maintain professional appearance and dress
Why you want to work for us
We strive to support our people to reach their highest potential. In addition to a friendly, supportive company culture, our employees enjoy a comprehensive suite of perks and benefits (some benefits dependent on position):
- Competitive pay
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Regular safety seminars
- Education reimbursement
- Employee appreciation events
- Employee stock option plan (ESOP)
- Cutting edge, late model tools and equipment provided